Monthly Archive: August, 2017

Gympie Country Music Muster

The first Muster was held on ‘Thornside’ the Webb property to celebrate the centenary of their family being in the Widgee area on 24, 25 and 26 September 1982.   This content is… Continue reading

John Flood

Death of John Flood.  From Convict to Councillor.  John Flood was an Irish political prisoner who was also a Councillor and newspaper publisher among other things. This content is a part of G150:… Continue reading

Mary Street fire 1881

The upper Mary Street occurred in 1881.  It consumed 12 businesses on the southern side of the street as well as the back buildings. This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150… Continue reading

Gympie Fire Brigade

The Gympie Fire Brigade Board looked at Caledonian Hill site for the building of the first Fire Station.  This building is now on Stewart Terrace and is used as flats. This content is… Continue reading

Tattersalls Hotel Fire

A favourite water hole, the Tattersalls Hotel was burnt down on the evening of August 7 1989. The Tattersall’s had been on that spot since 1868.   This content is a part of… Continue reading

Gympie Railway

The opening of the North Coast Line between Gympie and Maryborough in 1881.  This was one of the first sections to be opened.  The shops were closed for the day so people could… Continue reading

Kidd Bridge

The Kidd Bridge was opened on August 5 1961 replacing the Channon Street Bridge. It was named after William (Billy) Kidd who was Chairman of the Widgee Shire Council. This content is a… Continue reading