Mini tornado hits Gympie

In 1932 a tornado tears through Gympie from the Mary River to the Monkland area leaving a trail of destruction.   This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150 years of Gympie.… Continue reading

Introduction of house numbers

Before September 1938 houses did not have numbers.  Houses often had names or the postal workers just seemed to know who lived where.  People also would have collected there mail from the Post… Continue reading

Widgee Shire Council’s road plant

Widgee Shire Council’s road plant was the first complete one owned by a council. This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150 years of Gympie. #g150 #gympie150    

Egg laying titles

Gympie had egg laying competitions in the 1930’s.  These were written up in the newspapers on a regular basis. This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150 years of Gympie. #g150 #gympie150… Continue reading

The Borumba Dam

The Borumba Dam was officially opened in 1964.  The project took nearly 4 years to complete. This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150 years of Gympie. #g150 #gympie150

Mt Morgan mining disaster

Six miners were killed in a mining disaster at Mt Morgan in 1902, five of them were from Gympie. Five of the bodies were returned to Gympie for burial. The sixth was buried elsewhere. … Continue reading

Gympie Country Music Muster

The first Muster was held on ‘Thornside’ the Webb property to celebrate the centenary of their family being in the Widgee area on 24, 25 and 26 September 1982.   This content is… Continue reading

John Flood

Death of John Flood.  From Convict to Councillor.  John Flood was an Irish political prisoner who was also a Councillor and newspaper publisher among other things. This content is a part of G150:… Continue reading

Mary Street fire 1881

The upper Mary Street occurred in 1881.  It consumed 12 businesses on the southern side of the street as well as the back buildings. This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150… Continue reading

Gympie Fire Brigade

The Gympie Fire Brigade Board looked at Caledonian Hill site for the building of the first Fire Station.  This building is now on Stewart Terrace and is used as flats. This content is… Continue reading