Theophilus Junin 1868/1869 transferred to..
Jacob Moss 1869/1870 transferred to….
Theophilus Junin 1870/1875…
Richard Brewin 1875/1876
Built in 1868, Hotel de France was positioned approximately where Wilbraham’s Drapery was for many years and now the site of Toyworld. Theophilus Junin held the Publican’s license for a year when Jacob Moss took over for 1869-70. The flood of 1870 caused significant damage to the hotel (as did many businesses in Mary Street). “In Junin’s Cafe De Paris Hotel the water rose 10 feet 5 inches” (The Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette, 19 March 1870, page 3)
In March 1870, there was a stabbing at the hotel. The Chinese cook had been instructed not to allow anyone to meddle with the fire but Mr Junin had allowed a client to do so. The cook tried to stop the client and a struggle ensued with the cook being hit with a fire stick across the chin and the cook stabbing the client in the left side. The cook was remanded in custody and the client was attended by Dr’s Byrne and Burke. Junin became Publican again holding the license and owning the property between 1870 to 1875.
Junin made extensive alterations to the hotel in 1870 due to the flood damage.
Richard Brewin took up licence in 1875 in renting the hotel from owner William Scott. Brewin changed the name of the hotel to the Albion Hotel in 1876.