Gympie Telephone Exchange
The Gympie Telephone Exchange first began operation on 1 October 1901 with 54 subscribers. The first telephone call in Queensland was made in 1878 to Ipswich from the office of the Superintendent of Electric Telegraphs, W.J Cracknell. Soon businesses where subscribing to the new service and by 1885 there were over 300 subscribers in Brisbane. The popularity of the service grew when the telephone rates were reduced by John Hesketh, Chief Electrical Engineer for the Queensland Post and Telegraph Department. The number of exchanges in Queensland had risen to 58 by 1910. (http://www.qhatlas.com.au/content/telephone-queensland)
Past Forward. G150 Celebrating 150 years of Gympie.
This content is a part of G150: Celebrating 150 years of Gympie.