It is now currently the site of the Gympie Ambulance headquarters.
Gympie’s first cemetery was located on the corner of King and Alfred Street, Gympie and operated as a non-Gazetted cemetery from December 1867 until its last known burial on 6 January 1869. (Gympie’s first gazetted cemetery, and second actual cemetery commenced a few days beforehand – see our blog post about Tozer Park Road Cemetery here)
It is the resting place of an estimated 80 to 100 people and there was no burial register in existence for this cemetery. Additionally, no headstones from this burial ground have survived.
In 1888, Gympie Municipal Council records indicate the land was used as a stockyard and Alderman Shields called to prevent further desecration.
In April 1904, a resident wrote a letter to the editor of the Gympie Times and Mary River Mining Gazette to protest an application for a homestead lease on the old cemetery grounds, called it “sacrilege”.