~ 207-209 Mary Street, Gympie ~
(building currently houses the Keen Bean on Mary & Hair Review)
Holloway’s was a business established in 1892 by Mr Samuel Holloway. Holloway was born in 1858 in Wimborne, Dorset, England. He came to Queensland as a young man, one of his shipmates being Mr W. H Shambler. Holloway’s trade was as a gasfitter and plumber and upon arriving in Gympie obtained employment with Newbury and Squire, later becoming Newbury and Shambler.
He set his business up in a small store adjacent the Atlantic Hotel in Mary Street. Following the big flood of 1898, Holloway (a smart man!) moved his shop opposite Patterson Bros (where Craft Punk Espresso & Hair Review currently stand).
As business expanded so did Holloway’s premises circa 1916.
Mr Holloway was civic minded and enthusiastic worker for many public bodies including the Chamber of Commerce, Gympie Hospital Committee, Fire Brigade Board, and actively worked for the ambulance brigade. He was the President of the Ambulance committee when movements for motor ambulance transport were initiated. He was also a member of the Masonic Lodge. He had three sons – Cyril, Ivan and Colin with his wife Margaret. He was 75 when he passed.